It’s GO time. Or should I say GO-AL time?!
It’s the start of a new year and to many, that means it’s time to revisit personal and professional goals. Unfortunately, most people don’t reach those goals. One study says 92% do not. You, however, are going to be in that 8% by focusing on the right approach.
You see, the goal is simply a result. It doesn’t have to be some lofty far-off thing that’s unreachable. It’s behaviors that get us there. Behaviors are what turn that lofty goal into daily choices and subsequently, realized dreams. Let’s not make this just another habitual exercise where we go through the motions. Let’s make this really happen.
Most people don’t achieve their goals because they don’t know what to do, don’t know how to do it, or they just don’t do it. I’m going to bring you to the place where it’s simply a choice, because you probably know what needs to be done and how to do it. And if you don’t, we’re going to learn through trial and error. Then all that’s left is choosing to make your goals a reality, one day at a time. Here’s how:
Step 1: Write down your vision
Studies show those who write down their goals are 80% more likely to reach them. Better yet, the 3% of people who write them down earn 10 times more than the other 97% who don’t. Yeah, read that again. Then start writing your ultimate ambitions. Don’t limit yourself. The world will try to place limitations on your goals as you chase them, so don’t do that here. Think big. Think of your legacy. What motivates you? How much time do you think you have left, and what do you really want to do with it?
Step 2: Self-Assessment
This is where we get real. Take a genuine assessment of where you’re at and any struggles, strengths, situations, and people related to reaching that goal. We need to identify the roadblocks and advantages that play a part in our pursuit.
Step 3: SMART Details
Now take those goals and use the SMARTER method to get detailed. Be Specific, make them Measurable, establish Actionable steps, keep them Relevant & Realistic to your life, and make them Time-bound.
Step 4: Prioritize Them
This is the hardest part by far. Every day we make choices, and it’s no different with your goals. We must choose what goals matter most, including what people matter more. It’s hard, but it provides clarity and focus.
Step 5: Schedule Actions
Take those actions from step 3 and break them into daily, weekly & monthly tasks. Then put them in your calendar, keeping in mind priorities and when you work best. You’ll quickly realize the importance of every hour in every day. It becomes very real to see it in your calendar and what time you do, or do not, have.
Now you’re left with a choice – do you act on what’s in your calendar and chase your goals? Or not? You know what’s most important. You know what you need to do. Now just do it.
A goal without a plan is just a wish. Let’s not make your dreams a dream. Block off some time to start this process and make your goals a daily reality.
About DJ Troy Adams:
A sought-after DJ, speaker & coach, Troy Adams was named one of the 500 Most Influential Event Pros by BizBash in 2021. He’s also an elite WeddingPro educator and owns Carolina DJ Professionals, one of the most accomplished DJ companies in the US. Founder of the “Make Your Business Dance” development platform, Troy draws from his 25 years’ experience in multiple high-performance industries to fuel the F.I.R.E. of colleagues, clients & guests. Drop him a message at @djtroyadams on social media and look for his next webinar on “Making Goals A Daily Reality.”
To check out more business tips, click here.